- About Us
- Blogs We Love
One of the biggest decisions we have to make as an expectant mom is whether or not we are going to use formula or breast milk to supply our infants with all the nutrients they need. When I became pregnant with my first child, I knew right away that I wanted her exclusively on breastmilk. I’ll be honest though- I wasn’t one of those moms that absolutely loved the idea of breastfeeding so my original plan was to express all my breastmilk and feed my infant that way. This idea would never have been possible without the advanced technology of electric breastpumps. As it turned out, I didn’t end up exclusively pumping. Breastfeeding was not nearly as difficult or uncomfortable as I imagined (especially with all the resources out there and help from lactation consultants), but my husband and I still found it important for him to have a bonding experience through feedings with our child so I still pumped at least once a day so he could also assist in feeding our child.
I am so thankful to Medela for their great breastfeeding/breastpumping products to help me through my transition as a first-time breastfeeding mom! If you are still trying to decide what option is right for you and your baby, you should check out Medela’s Expectant Mother webpage. You can read up on all the benefits of breastmilk for both the baby and mother (and financially too!) and decide what breastpumping equipment is right for you. There is a ton of support on the website for any questions or concerns you may have! This is one of the reason I have always loved Medela as a company. They go above and beyond just creating the products; they are also there to help at any time!!
I cannot even begin to describe to you the excitement I had when Medela agreed to send me their newest electric breastpump for review (and another to giveaway to one of our lucky readers!).
As I stated before, I have already been using Medela products for a little over four years. I pumped with both my older children using the Medela Pump-in-Style and had excellent results. I never had any issues with getting a decent amount of milk with the pump, and it was great having a double pump to make my pumping time faster. With my first child I pumped often, probably once or twice every single day. I wanted a supply of extra milk for the transition to whole milk after a year old. Then came baby #2 and while I would have loved to keep up with the routine and stockpile of breast milk that I had with my first child, it was a bit more difficult trying to pump witha 2-year old and an infant. There was never really any great time during the day that both of them were content enough for me to get through a pumping session without interruption (and we’re only talking 15-ish minutes). When I did try to pump, I typically had to just pump one breast at a time so that I had one hand free to help one child or the other during my pumping. While this worked some, I was still plugged into an outlet and only had so far that I could reach one-handed. Needless to say, pumping was a whole lot trickier with two young children, and I would say that I probably didn’t get to escape for long periods of time as easily with my second child because there wasn’t a whole lot of extra milk around to do so.
So, now here I am about to have a third child and of course I would really prefer to get back to the point of pumping more regularly like I did with my first, but a few months ago I didn’t think that was going to be possible. I mean I am going to have THREE children ages 4 1/2 and younger to take care of and pumping was a struggle with just two kids. But, of course, Medela has come to this nursing mom’s rescue once again with their newest pump: The Freestyle Breastpump.
Here are the main reasons for me, as a mom-of-three, that the freestyle pump is so essential for me even though I already had a great pump made by Medela:
- Hands-Free Pumping: Yes, you heard that correctly. This double pump now allows you to pump both breasts without needing to hold onto the breast shields while doing so! The way it works is your pump comes with hands-free straps that fit to your nursing bra (or at least to most nursing bras. All the ones I have in my possession work with it so I would say there’s a good chance it is compatible with most). These straps are adjustable to achieve maximum comfort. It took me a few minutes to figure them out the first time I tried it, but I am pretty sure I’m about to be a pro at it as it didn’t take long to get the hang of them!
- Rechargeable battery and light-weight motor = true pumping mobility: This was something I hadn’t even paid attention to when I read about the freestyle online. I didn’t put all those features together to realize just how cool that makes this pump. When I opened up my pump that Medela sent me, I am pretty sure I had the biggest smile on my face ever when I realized what this meant for me as a nursing mom. The Freestyle pump comes with an adjustable waist belt that you can strap on. Since the motor that operates the pump is pretty small and lightweight, it clips to the belt for you. Lastly, you have a Lithium-Ion battery that holds a charge for about 3 hours that you do not have to be plugged into any electrical outlet. This means that I can literally pump while having both my hands free AND walk all over my house at the same time! Technically I could wash my floor while I express breast milk! Sure, my kids might think their mom is slightly crazy, but I don’t care! Not being restrained to a three-foot area while I pump and my kids have freedom to destroy my house is so essential for me! As an added bonus, I remember several times of trying to pump while not at home and struggling to either get a cigarette power adapter to pump in my vehicle or find a remote location inside wherever I was that I could not only pump but that had an electrical outlet for me to do so. Now I could pump in the stall of a public restroom if I needed; the possibilities of where and how I can pump have become endless. No more stress for this mommy over how I’m going to get to pump while on the go!
While those two reasons are my main reasons that I am jumping to the sky right now in excitement, this pump truly has so much more to offer than my top two reasons for loving it. Here are more awesome features of the pump:
- Digital Display with back light and timer
- Memory button allows you to save your comfort settings so you don’t have to adjust them each time.
- 2-Phase Expression Technology that mimics a baby’s natural nursing pattern (makes more milk in less time)
- Daily use double pump
- Comes with everything you need to store and pump your breast milk, including a bag to fit everything in. Medela even includes your ice pack to keep your milk cold while pumping on the go!
- Vacuum adjustment allows you to adjust the vacuum to your comfort level.
- BPA Free
I really cannot even begin to imagine how Medela could make pumping any easier and convenient for nursing moms than they have with the Freestyle Breastpump. Even the cleaning of the pump accessories is easy-peasy. With my last two nursing experiences, I used the Quick Clean Microwave Steam Bags made by Medela. The steps were super fast and easy and then my parts were ready by the next time I needed them! I see they now even have wipes that they carry for breastpumping accessories so I may have to give those a try for when I’m on the go!
A HUGE, HUGE thanks to Medela for providing nursing mothers the top-notch quality products to help make all our breastfeeding and breastpumping experiences so much easier.. and for allowing us to offer one Coupons Are Great Winner their very own Freestyle Breastpump!!
Prize: (1) Medela Freestyle Breastpump (Retail value around $379.99)
Number of Winners: 1
Giveaway End Date: June 14th, 2011 at 11:59:59 PM EDT
Eligibility: This giveaway is open to residents of the U.S. who are at least 18 years old at the time of entry.
Random Selection: One winner will randomly be chosen by the WordPress plugin “and the winner is…” and will be notified via email. Those winners will have 48 hours to respond to that email or another winner will be chosen.
Leave a comment answering this question: What feature of the Medela Freestyle Pump appeals to you the most?
You must complete the required entry question. All bonus entries are optional. You will receive one (1) additional entry for each completed bonus entry with comment. Bonus entries will be confirmed before a winner is selected and announced.
Bonus entries include:
- Like Coupons Are Great on Facebook. If you already like Coupons are Great leave a comment saying you do so.
- Share this giveaway on Facebook. Make sure to leave us a comment after you do so!
- Follow Coupons Are Great on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. You must include @CouponsAreGreat in your tweet. Leave your tweet link in your comment. You can tweet once per day as an additional entry. Please feel free to use this: #Win a Medela Freestyle Breastpump @couponsaregreat #giveaway #contest #baby ends 06/14 http://couponsaregreat.net/?p=9868
- Subscribe to Coupons Are Great’s feed -OR- follow us with Google Friend Connect (upper right). If you are already a subscriber leave a comments saying so.
- Grab either our Coupons are Great main button or our Baby Event button and let us know where to find it.
- Blog about this giveaway and leave the link to your post.
- Write a positive review of Coupons Are Great on Alexa.
Disclaimer: I received a free product sample for the purpose of the review in this post. Opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced by monetary compensation.
Search our site
Like Coupons are Great! on Facebook
Grab Our Button