Summer is here and Independence Day is right around the corner. To add some patriotic decorations to our house we made red, white, and blue canvas stars. I absolutely love how this craft turned out. Each canvas was dated and signed by the girls. I cannot wait to get these out year after year. It will definitely be a sweet remembrance of the ages 3 and 4.5. This is also a great project to send to grandparents.
What you need to make Patriotic Canvas Stars
- Canvas – 5×7 is a good size for this project.
- Red, White, and Blue acrylic Paint (each paint was 59¢ at JoAnn’s)
- Newspaper (or similar)
- Star Template (I used this one scaled to 90%), scissors, pencil (optional if you want to freehand)
To make Red, White, and Blue Canvas Stars
1) Print the star template, cut, and trace on to the canvas using a pencil.
2) Paint using red, white, and blue paint. If you want a crisp star then use painters tape to mask off the edges of the star. I preferred the non-perfect look since it was a true snapshot in time of my girls. Washi tape or masking tape would also work.
3) Use these stars to decorate your house. Put them on the mantel or use 3M photo hangers and decorate the walls.
Patriotic Crafts Found on Coupons Are Great
Educational Patriotic Books
- Wee Sing America
- The Liberty Bell (Patriotic Symbols)
- Sweet Land of Liberty (Ellis the Elephant)
- Songs of America
Do you have a patriotic dessert that you love to make? We would love to hear more about your scrumptious creations (or crafts) in the comments.
We love crafting! Be sure to check out our Craft Posts for more ways to create fun, frugal crafts and projects at your house!