Sometimes you see things that you just have to recreate. After I took my girls to Portrait Innovations I saw the absolute cutest burlap Love banner that I couldn’t stop thinking about. After printing some craft store coupons I headed to JoAnns where I found what I needed for my DIY Burlap Banner craft. I was very pleased at how affordable this project was to make.
Materials for DIY Burlap Love Banner
- Burlap (the normal price is $3.99/yard at JoAnn Craft Store)
- Jute – I think this is a fancy word for twine, but if you as at a craft store they may look at you like you are a little crazy when you ask for twine (just trust me). So ask for Jute…or just look in the jewelry making section
- Acrylic Paint & Paintbrush
- Heat ‘n Bond
- Glitter (optional)
How to Make a DIY Burlap Banner
- Cut your burlap into triangles. You can create a template out of paper and pin it onto the burlap if you want perfectly matched triangles
- Using acrylic paint, paint the phrase you want on your banner. I chose LOVE in black and two hearts in red. Add glitter to the wet paint if you desire. Allow to dry completely.
- Cut strips of Heat ‘n Bond that are the length of the top of your triangle. My strips were about 1″ thick.
- Iron heat and bond to the tippy top of your burlap triangle on the back/wrong side.
- Pull the jute/twine just under the Heat ‘n Bond strip.
- Fold the burlap over so the Heat ‘n Bond pinches the jute. Iron closed. Trim any excess burlap.
- Once this has cooled a teeny bit, pinch closed. You may be able to skip this step, but I pinched each triangle closed to ensure that it was sealed.
- Allow to cool. Enjoy!
Mine was a teeny bit too big. I envisioned it going above the fireplace, but that didn’t work. I will recreate this with smaller triangles! I will probably make another one for St. Patrick’s Day too. I love having burlap in my craft supplies to create with now!
Do you have a favorite burlap craft?
We love crafting! Be sure to check out our Craft Posts for more ways to create fun, frugal crafts and projects at your house!