If you are looking for a quick and easy craft project idea, then a Pine Cone Bird Feeder may be just the project. It is very simple to make. There is an educational aspect when you see the birds eating the bird seed and you have to identify which type of bird it is.
Materials Required to Make a Pine Cone Bird Feeder:
- Pine Cone
- Peanut Butter (or shortening)
- Bird Seed
- Pipe Cleaner
Make a Pinecone Bird Feeder:
1) Spread peanut butter all over the pine cone. You can use shortening (AKA Crisco) instead of Peanut Butter. This makes this a nut-free allergy project for anyone who may have allergies.
2) Roll the peanut butter covered pine cone in bird seed. Coat thoroughly.
3) Attach a pipe cleaner to the top. The pipe cleaner wraps around the pine cone and tree branch nicely. One year we used ribbon and it damaged the tree. Pipe cleaners can easily be removed after the birds have picked off all the seeds and they do not damage the tree!
4) Hang around the branch of a tree. The birds will LOVE this eco-friendly bird feeder. You are recycling the pine cone into a food source for the birds!
Another great bird related item to hang around your house is a Hummingbird feeder. All you need is a simple mixture of boiled water and sugar to make the syrup to save money!
Bird Reading Materials
- Birds, Nests & Eggs (Take Along Guides)
- National Geographic Kids Bird Guide of North America: The Best Birding Book for Kids from National Geographic’s Bird Experts
- Everything Bird: What Kids Really Want to Know about Birds (Kids Faqs)
Once you are all done making your bird feeder, keep crafting! Create some rock bugs for the back porch or the garden. Kids have so much fun painting and carrying around their creations.
We love crafting! Be sure to check out our Craft Posts for more ways to create fun, frugal crafts and projects at your house!