Our craft project idea this week was a Pine Cone Bird Feeder. It is simple to make and the girls love watching for the robins to come eat the bird seeds.
Material Required to Make a Pine Cone Bird Feeder:
- Pine Cone
- Peanut Butter (or shortening)
- Bird Seed
- Pipe Cleaner
Make a Pinecone Bird Feeder:
1) Spread peanut butter all over the pine cone. You can use shortening (AKA Crisco) instead of Peanut Butter. See, totally allergy friendly!
2) Roll the peanut butter covered pine cone in bird seed. Coat thoroughly.
3) Attach a pipe cleaner to the top. The pipe cleaner wraps around the pine cone and tree branch nicely. One year we used ribbon and it damaged the tree. Pipe cleaners can easily be removed after the birds have picked off all the seeds and they do not damage the tree!
4) Hang around the branch of a tree. The birds will LOVE this eco-friendly bird feeder. You are recycling the pine cone into a food source for the birds!
Bird Reading Materials
- Birds, Nests & Eggs (Take Along Guides)
- National Geographic Kids Bird Guide of North America: The Best Birding Book for Kids from National Geographic’s Bird Experts
- Everything Bird: What Kids Really Want to Know about Birds (Kids Faqs)
Once you are all done making Rainbow Rocks, keep painting! Create some rock bugs for the back porch or the garden. Kids have so much fun painting and carrying around their creations!
We love crafting! Be sure to check out our Craft Posts for more ways to create fun, frugal crafts and projects at your house!
Search our site
Like Coupons are Great! on Facebook