I don’t know about you, but I am a sucker for a good photo opportunity. We rush from Halloween to Christmas and have been skipping over Thanksgiving. The beauty found in fall is amazing and not to be missed. Make some turkey hats with your kiddos for a fun photo – or put them around the house for decorations. You will look back at these photos and smile…I know I do!
Depending on your child’s age and stage, they may be able to work on this craft while you are cooking dinner. It’s pretty simple.
Materials Required to Make Turkey Hats:
- Brown contsruction paper, various colored construction paper
- Scissors (a paper cutter is also nice, but not a necessity)
- Adhesive (glue, glue stick, tape, stapler – your choice)
- Popsicle/Craft sticks
- Googley Eyes (optional)
Steps to make a Paper Turkey Hat:
1) Cut two brown strips the same width to make the band of the hat. Measure your child’s head to determine what size to make the band. Staple or tape closed. I used 2″ strips
2) Draw feathers onto a piece of construction paper. Stack a bunch of different colors together and cut multiple feathers at once
3) Cut another brown strip for the turkey head. I used 9″ by 3″
4) Adhere the thick brown strip to the band, vertically
5) Take your popsicle/craft sticks and adhere them inside the hat, so that part of the stick in adhered to the band and the other part is adhered to the head. This will prevent a floppy head turkey.
6) Adhere paper feathers around the turkey
7) Glue eyes, a beak, and a gobbler to the turkey
If making a turkey hat isn’t for you maybe one of these is:
Don’t miss these Thanksgiving Jokes for Kids!
We love crafting! Be sure to check out our Craft Posts for more ways to create fun, frugal crafts and projects at your house!