I have being a migraine sufferer since I was a teenager. Unfortunately it is something that runs in my family. For the last 9 days in a row I have had some sort of headache or migraine combination. The core of my brain hurts excruciatingly and don’t get near me with anything that is bright because the light sensitivity is extreme.
Over the past 9 days I have been to the doctor twice. I went to urgent care first (I know, I know, but that is generally my first and only place I have to turn. I don’t like my primary care doctor’s office and am in the process of switching). At urgent care they gave me a shot of Toradol (30 mg), which normally does the trick. Within about 30 minutes my migraine disappears and I don’t have to squeeze my eyes shut. But my shot didn’t work completely. It dulled my migraine turning it into a really bad headache, but it didn’t go away. I managed to get through my younger daughter’s 7th birthday party (at Build-a-Bear) and through our Girl Scouts meeting before the full blown migraine returned. I sucked it up and went to see my regular doctor. I was given two shots…one more of Toradol (60 mg this time), and one of a steroid (125 mg Solumedrol) for sinus pressure. It was sweet relief until that night when the nausea and migraine returned. UGH!
I was taking Treximet (which is Imitrex mixed with Naproxen) until what I had on hand ran out. Then I just started taking Imitrex and Naproxen. In addition to that (which I am taking twice a day) I am also taking a steroid (for that silly sinus pressure), a probiotic, and at night I am taking 2 Benadryl so I can fall asleep. During the day I am sleeping A LOT and drinking water when I am awake. I am constantly aware that I am not 100% and that being a mom, wife, and even friend for the past week has been a struggle. My sweet girls want to play, laugh, run, and be kids. Unfortunately that is not possible when it feels like a jackhammer is constantly beating my head and that a each eye is being attacked by a strobe light. I haven’t gotten out of my pajamas in days, although I have showered. Makeup is laughable. Really, all I want to do is snuggle up in my bed, cover my eyes, and sleep!
So I took to Facebook and asked for YOUR advice. What works for you when you have a migraine. Below is a great list of suggestions. However, these are just suggestions and are NOT medical advice. If you are suffering from a migraine or terrible headache, call your doctor NOW. Do not wait until it is terrible to ask for help. Really, keep calm and ask for help. As for me, I have an email to my general practitioner stating that I still have this stupid headache. I made an appointment with a neurologist (eek!), and I made an appointment with a new general practitioner at the end of the month. I am watching my water intake and keeping track of what I eat.
Tips for Migraines – Real tips from real people – NOT medical advice.
- I put ice on the back of my neck and forehead. In 2008 I started taking Beta Blockers.
- I take magnesium and b vitamins ( per my neurologist ) no migraines
- use some essential oils to make sure my allergies are in check, and try to not stress myself when they do come
- Gatorade… Sometimes migraines can be triggered by an offset in your electrolytes and mild dehydration.
- Vicks vapor rub in your neck as soon as aurora starts. Also if you can take excedrine migraine right when it starts
- Ice pak ,cold air , hydrocodone
- Chiropractor or massage. The area may also trigger sinus issues. “Calm” magnesium.
- Peppermint essential oil rubbed on your temples
- it sounds and tastes gross but it is gone in 5 – 10 minutes… it is 8 oz of warm or cold water 2 tsps apple cider vinegar and 2 tsps of sugar , mix and drink…GONE !
- I do the botox injections.
- Dr told me 2 rub bengay on my forehead for migraines
- My Dr put me on migraine meds which helped some but then she added vitamin b2 which is amazing its helped me so much not having very many at all now
- Diet has greatly reduced mine but I take Imitrex and a high dose of naproxen when I feel one coming on.
- i take aleve
- Caffeine pills
- I try to knock it out first with Excederine Mirgrane or Peppermint Essential Oil from Dotterra. Dr gave me a prescription for Fruriset (sp) should those not work. All else fails….shots
- Lots of water
- Rub vicks on my head, drink caffeine and Tylenol
- I am doing a dairy free for 21 days and it is making a difference
- I drink ginger tea its natural and it works great
- I tried Everything for years, in the end the culprit was aspartame, no more diet coke no more migraines!
- Chew on ginger root.
- Keep a diary of your foods, they seems to trigger mine
- When I can’t stop it-i need complete darkness, complete silence, candle, mayyyybe soft music to get rid of the ringing and throbbing echo’s… Lots of water and alternating OTC medicines for the rest of the day… And DO NOT cry it makes it 1000xs worse…
- after reading an article on magnesium i now take this and it has cut my headaches in half
- Mountain Dew. Voltage
- I take 4 ibuprofen as soon as I feel one coming on, most of the time it helps. If not, after 3 days I will go to ER for an injection.
- My Dr told me the best thing is to take aleeve when you have a minor to mild headache to help it from progression to migraine but if it doesn’t help imatrex (my emergency med) is great usually! Just got home from having to go get shots bc imatrex didn’t help and I had a nasty one for 24 plus hrs. I also usually try the feet and hands in hot water and ice pack on the neck/ head. The heat is to relax ya a bit and the cold water is bc blood goes to the coldest area to try to warm up making the blood pressure in your head less so pain is less
- Lay head up with heating pad on my eyes. I can function the day if I can keep meds down
- I sleep mine off
- I’m not saying for anyone to do this..but it is what helped me
Divorce! !! I had terrible migraines, on the floor full of pain. No lights..pain meds didn’t help. Once I got my divorce, my migraines went away!!
- I was given Botox injections because nothing worked but you may want to research food that cause migraines. Make an appointment with a neurologist.
- So far, oils have been the best solution, even though they only manage to dull the pain a little when it’s just a headache.
- I take Maxalt RPT.
Do you suffer from migraines and have some tips we can add to this list?
Beverly Hudson says
Just wanted to say I love the divorce tip! LOL …. That little tip also helped me to lose about 50 pounds 🙂 Stress can actually be a factor I’m sure… All joking aside, I also used to suffer from migraines, as did one of my daughters and my dad. We all eventually just “outgrew” them. Hopefully you will get some relief.
You poor momma! I’d been seeing your fb statuses and felt so bad for you! I hope you’re feeling better now and stay migraine free for a good long time!
I also suffer from them!! I get ones that half of my face and arm go numb (usually my right side) and then it looks like I’m looking through a kaleidoscope!!
The ice helps for me sometimes. Sometimes, I just have to try and sleep it off. I just started trying the oils and so far they don’t work for me. I have to see a neurologist (which in the past I didn’t have a good experience), and have been putting it off. I’ve tried about 6-7 migraine meds and nothing works, so I have to take Norco for them. Which most of the time even that pain med doesn’t work!
I’m going to try some of the things you mentioned in this post and see if they help.