After making Shamrock Hair Bows for St. Patrick’s Day and seeing how much my girls enjoyed them I knew that I had to keep making cute hair accessories. Since spring is here I thought it would be fun to make felt bunny hair clips. I chose felt as my medium to work with on this craft because it is so versatile and so inexpensive….and I have oodles of it in my closet.
Materials Needed to Make Felt Bunny Hair Clips:
- Felt – white and pink
- Hair Clip – I made one with a clip from a beauty store and one with a clip from Target
- Needle (don’t be intimidated!)
- Black Thread or DMC Thread – I chose DMC simply because it is thicker
- Hot Glue Gun
- Bunny Head template – or you can freestyle it yourself
Steps to Make Felt Bunny Hair Bows
1) Cover your clip. I start on the inside and work around, but there is no right or wrong way to do this. Apply a strip of hot glue to the clip and then quickly put the ribbon on trying to center it as much as possible. I use a lighter to seal the ends of the ribbon so they do not fray. Sealing the ends of the ribbon at the end of each cut will ensure that your bows hold up for longer periods of time. Set aside when done
2) Cut out the bunny template and pin to the white felt. Cut a bunny shape out of the felt.
3) Cut two ears and a nose out of the pink felt. Then glue to the white felt.
4) Thread your needle with black thread or DMC. I used two pieces of DMC because it is thicker and I would not have to repeat any stitches to make the black thicker or bolder.
5) Sew two eyes and a mouth on to the white bunny felt. Since the pink is glued down you will be able to see where they fit perfectly.
6) Perfectionists – close your eyes. I dislike tying lots of knots in thread so I just kept going without cutting until my final knot. Yes, this makes the back look messy, but…..it’s a hair clip that gets glued to a ribbon and no one will see it. 😉
7) Glue your finished bunny on to the clip! Tada, wasn’t that easy? For the regular clip that you may have lying around your house, I clipped a piece of waxed paper in the middle so the glue wouldn’t stick.
Optional – for one of my bunnies I outlined it with a single piece of light pink DMC.
I have also used alligator clips and have found that they last a long time. They are easy for kids to get in and out of their hair as well.
Do you have a cute handmade Easter accessory that you love to make? We would love to see it!