There is no doubt that children grow up too quickly. One of the best ways to capture them as children is with handprint art. An oven mitt is the perfect medium to paint onto. By creating seasonal works you will be able to cherish those tiny, small, or large handprints at different time throughout the years.
Materials Required to Make Handprint Oven Mitts
- Acrylic Paint (this is a great set if you are an online shopper. If you prefer shopping in stores you can find current printable Craft Store Coupons here)
- Paint brush
- Oven Mitts (I found ours at the Dollar Tree).
- Practice paper (new or ready to be recycled, it really doesn’t matter)
Gift Idea: How to Make Handprint Oven Mitts
- Decide which colors of paint you will use for the handprint. Then practice it at least once on paper. Gently squish the fingers and palm into the paper so you get maximum coverage.
- Paint a handprint onto the oven mitt.
- Allow the handprint to dry fully.
- Decorate with more acrylic paint. To make the dots on the snowmen we turned the paintbrush over and used the wooden part to get more symmetrical dots.
- Be sure to add your child’s name and the year. It’s crazy how easily we can forget the small details like when a craft/gift was made/given.
It was so fun letting my girls’ creativity shine through. They each had distinct ideas of how they wanted their oven mitts to look. What may seem like a mess or a blob to me is almost exactly how my girls imagined it in their minds. If you do this craft…remember to let your children be creative in his or her own way.
We love crafting! Be sure to check out our Craft Posts for more ways to create fun, frugal crafts and projects at your house!
Kimberly Frazee says
I love these hand print crafts. They are beyond adorable. That is creative up and above what Ive seen for Kids crafts. I just love them all
my kids are going to love doing this nana and their grandma
MJ @ The Flying Couponer says
This is such a great idea! I am always running out of fun things to do with my kids! Thank you! xo
This is so cute, a perfect gift for grandparents
Those are cute ideas. They’d make a good gift for the grandparents, too.
This is a cute craft and would make such a great gift!
What a great one of a kind gift idea!