Statistics about women in the workforce are fun and amazing to read. “Women bring in half or more of the income in the majority of U.S. households (Women & Money, p. 9). When you think about women who are experts with money you may think of Gail from Til Debt do us Part or Suze Orman. Hopefully it isn’t just me whose list consists of those two women.
Last summer Suze launched her new online community Money Minded Moms, a site devoted to helping moms make smarter money choices. Suze has revamped the site and partnered with a team of MoneyMindedMoms bloggers to bring you more perspectives on money-related topics.
To help get started with taking control of finances and getting back on track this year, Suze has also created a list of the 11 things moms can do to increase their financial savvy in 2011:
- Stand in your truth
- Make finances a family affair
- Live below your means but within your needs
- Hope for the best, but plan for the worst
- Get rid of credit card debt
- Save an 8-month emergency fund
- Fund your 401k to the match
- Fund your Roth IRA to the max
- Start a 529 plan for your kids’ college education
- Be “happy you did” vs. “wishing you hadn’t”
- Never forget people first, then money, then things
I have started reading “Women & Money: Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny” and I find it very interesting. I agree with many of the items she lists above (the 8-month emergency fund seems like a big stretch). Now that I am no longer training for the half marathon I fully intend to sit down and read this book. Yep, I am a mom who stays home and does not bring in any income, but I feel it is important to learn all that I can about money so that my husband and I can make informed decisions….as a team.
One lucky Coupons are Great reader will be able to read this book in the comfort of her home.
Prize: Suze Orman’s “Women & Money: Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny” in the paperback version
Number of Winners: 1
Giveaway End Date: March 30th, 2011 at 11:59:59 PM EDT
Eligibility: This giveaway is open to residents of the U.S. who are at least 13 year of age at the time of entry.
Random Selection: One winner will randomly be chosen and will be notified via email. He/she will have 24 hours to respond to that email or another winner will be chosen.
Leave a comment answering the following question: When you think about “Women and money” who comes to mind? (It doesn’t need to be a financial guru, it can be a personal friend)
Additional Entries: (in case you want them!)
(Complete the Mandatory Entry and the Additional Entries for six total entries and six total comments. The mandatory entry must be completed before the optional entries count).
- Like Coupons Are Great on Facebook. If you already like Coupons are Great leave a comment saying you do so.
- Like MoneyMindedMoms on Facebook. If you already like them, please leave a comment saying you do so.
- Follow CouponsAreGreat on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway. Please leave your status link. Feel free to use this: #win aSuze Orman’s book “Women & Money” @CouponsAreGreat #giveaway #contest ends 03/30/11 http://couponsaregreat.net/?p=8457
- Subscribe to Coupons Are Great’s feed -OR- follow us with Google Friend Connect (upper right). If you are already a subscriber leave a comments saying so.
- Grab our button and let us know where to find it.
Disclaimer: The information for this post and the Suze Orman book was provided to me from MoneyMindedMoms through MyBlogSpark. Opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced by monetary compensation. The sponsor of the prize is responsible for prize fulfillment.