We all love our pets but we don’t love the costs associated with feeding them. Doesn’t it seem like a pet can eat as much as a teenager sometimes? Here are 5 tips to save money on pet food.
How to Save Money on Pet Food
1) Use coupons. You can find some coupons for pet food in the Sunday newspaper. Check the website and facebook page of your pet’s brand of food. Email the manufacturer your compliment about the product. Tell them why you chose their product over the competitors and why you are a long term customer. Ask if they have a mailing list for coupons. Many times pet food makers will send coupons in the mail. Redplum and Coupons.com offer a whole section of Printable Pet Food Coupons. Combine coupons with cash back rebates (like Ibotta) for maximum savings!
2) Shop at pet specialty stores like PetSmart and Petco and use their shopper reward card. You will earn perks the more you purchase food in the stores. By frequenting Petco somewhat regularly they send me 10% off my total purchase coupons about every 6 to 8 weeks.
3) Shop online. Many pet food suppliers offer pet food online, and their delivery prices are incredibly practical. We are switching and will be purchasing from Amazon with their subscribe and save option. We were payign $35 every 6-8 weeks for our dog’s food but going through Amazon drops the price to $24 shipped! You don’t even know how happy I am to avoid the pet store. I am totally allergic to that place. Plus, the savings of $11 every 6 weeks is a savings of almost $100 per year.
4) Shop wholesale at Costco, BJ’s, and Sam’s Club. The wholesale stores have large bags of pet food for a great price.
5) Stock up when you find a good deal. Pet food has a long expiration date and is shelf stable. The free Science Diet dog food of 2011 lasted our dog 9 months. Please note, that dog food deal is no longer available.
Have you found other ways to save money on your pet’s food purchase? We would love to find more ways to save on Fido!