Baking with children is exciting. Sure, there may be a big mess to clean up afterwards, but the fun that was had and the memories that were made are all worth it. Cookies for kids are fun to make with kids…or to make as a fun surprise for them instead. As we head back to school surprise your kids with these adorable alphabet sugar cookies, which look like a piece of lined paper. There is a simple trick for getting the white to not smear as your use the red, blue, and black gel to write. Do you know what it is? I will highlight it below.
Cookies for Kids: ABC Sugar Cookies
This recipe will make one dozen ABC sugar cookies:
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 t of baking soda
- 1/2 t of baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Wilton candy melts – white
- Wilton black decorating gel
- Wilton red decorating gel
- Wilton blue decorating gel
1. Preheat oven to 375° degrees.
2. In a small mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the egg and vanilla to the creamed butter and mix for one minute.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until well-incorporated.
6. Using a cookie scoop (for uniform-sized cookies), form 12 balls out of the dough and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool for at least 2 hours on a wire rack.
8. Melt 1/2 cup of the white Wilton candy melts in the microwave for 60 seconds. Stir until completely melted.
9. Spread the melted candy on each sugar cookie and let cool for 20 minutes.
10. Take the blue gel tube and draw 5 lines across each cookie and let set for 20 minutes.
11. Take the red gel tube and draw a line down on the left side of each cookie. Let set for 20 minutes.
12. Take the black gel tube and write individual letters (uppercase and lower case) on each cookie. Let set for 20 minutes.
Did you see the secret to getting the cookies to not smear? Using the white Wilton candy melts will save you so much frustration. Frosting may seem easier…but it is NOT!
Do you have another great alphabet sugar cookie or back to school recipe/idea to make for/with kids? Please share it in the comments below!
We love crafting! Be sure to check out our Craft Posts for more ways to create fun, frugal crafts and projects at your house!