Spring time is HERE! This week’s Crafty Tuesday post is perfect for this spring weather. These spring time carrots are perfect for Easter baskets or for a fun addition to your child’s pretend play collection. As soon as I finished the big carrot in the photo above my four-year-old shouted “Hooray! I love this carrot. It’s all mine, right Mommy?”
Material for Spring Time Carrots:
- Cardstock (I used orange, but it can be any color)
- Yarn – green and orange
Make Spring Time Carrots:
1) Using your bowl, trace a circle on the cardstock. The larger your circle, the easier it will be to get a tall skinny carrot. Cut this circle in fourths.
2) Tape the section to form a cone.
3) Start wrapping your orange yarn around the cone. I started by tucking the orange string inside the bottom of the cone and wrapping from the closed tip to the open end. I glued strips around the cone so the yarn stuck as I wrapped. I also glued the top of the cone so the yarn adhered to that.
4) Using the green yarn, wrap it around your fingers to form a loop. Tie one end of the loop and cut the other.
5) Glue the inside of the carrot and then tuck the green loop into the carrot.
You can also make carrot bookmarks using the same technique. We used cardboard that was sitting in the recycling.
Gardening/Easter Reading Materials
- Carrot Soup
- Carrots Grow Underground (Pebble Books: How Fruits and Vegetables Grow)
- The Curious Garden
- The Secret Garden (HarperClassics)
- Happy Easter, Curious George
- Happy Easter, Little Critter
This is a simple craft for kids. Just remember that it may take a few trials for them to get it right. Perfect is all in the eyes of the beholder. If you are looking for another Easter Craft check out these Felt Bunny Hair Clips and don’t miss Easter Jokes for Kids
If you have any crafts that you would like to have featured on Coupons Are Great be sure to Email Me.
We love crafting! Be sure to check out our Craft Posts for more ways to create fun, frugal crafts and projects at your house!