Decorating with homemade Thanksgiving decorations is fun and a great way to fill some of the no school minutes of vacation. These Thanksgiving Clay Pots are incredibly easy to make and take only a few minutes. This is a project that children can do very easily. Of course, these are clay pots and they will break if dropped so some caution must be used with smaller children.
Materials Required to Thanksgiving Clay Pots
- Small clay pots. They are under $1.00 at craft stores and can even be found at the Dollar Tree. (Find current printable Craft Store Coupons here)
- Paint brushes
- Acrylic Paint (this is a great set if you are an online shopper)
- Googley Eyes (optional, but very cute!)
- Craft feathers
- Glue or hot glue
- Foam or construction paper (optional, you can use paint instead)
Thanksgiving Craft – How to Create Pilgrim and Native American Clay Pots
- To create the pilgrim hat clay pot all you need to do is paint the clay pot entirely black. I use cosmetic sponges to paint clay pots (and many other things). It’s a trick I learned from my mother-in-law who is an expert crafter. You can just throw a cosmetic sponge in the garbage when you are done. Or, if you are really frugal (like me), you can cut of the dried paint and use it again!
- Make a buckle use yellow paint/construction paper/or foam that is in the shape of a square. It’s so simple!
- To create the Native American clay pot use several different colors of paint to create a headband around the rim of the clay pot.
- Embellish/complete with googley eyes (optional, but my girls LOVE these things), feathers, and more paint.
Thanksgiving Reading Materials
Don’t miss these Thanksgiving Jokes for Kids
We love crafting! Be sure to check out our Craft Posts for more ways to create fun, frugal crafts and projects at your house!